What Matters Most

What Matters Most
Andie's Baptism

Thursday, May 14, 2009

I wanna new drug


Sometimes it seems like everything is going wrong.  That's been the story of my life this week.  It seems that I'm perpetually a dollar short and a day late, as the old adage goes; add this to the constant emotional upheaval which seems to accompany raising kids, and my general mental instability, and you've got a storm a-brewing in Meganland.  It has not been pretty.  Needless to say, I want out.  

How does one escape ones troubles, exactly?  Well, I suppose everybody does it differently. Everyone has their "drug of choice" so to speak- the thing they turn to in difficult times to help them cope.  Some people exercise, some people eat, some people meditate, some people use actual drugs.  Well, I already take drugs to help me cope.  Prescription ones, of course (an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety pill, to be precise).  And guess what.  I'm still not coping.  So I'm on to new things.  

Tuesday I had a rough patch- tried to smooth it over with chocolate.   Yesterday was even worse.  So I tried ice-cream.  Still no better.  Today, I gave the bacon double cheeseburger and fries a chance (do I sense I pattern here?).  Alas, still no relief.  And so this evening, grasping at straws, it occurred to me that I haven't had a book to read all week.  And so, despite the fact that I needed to get home and make dinner pronto, I whipped into the used bookstore on the way home from an errand. Grabbed two books from the "chick-lit" section (feeling better already). Got 'em for free because I had credit from a previous visit (another endorphin rush). As I drove away, I swear I felt tears of joy well up in my eyes (yeah, I know I'm overly emotional right now)-  but I'm telling you, I've found my drug.  Just hook me up with a book and I'll be fine.  And you all thought it was Diet Dr. Pepper.

Incidentally, the girl at the register said something interesting to me as I checked out.  I mentioned that I'd been having a tough week, and she said "yeah, I'm hearing that a lot right now- must be because mercury's in retrograde."  Hallelujah!  Now not only do I know how to cope, I understand what the problem was in the first place.  Danged mercury.

1 comments:

kennoncrew said...

so it was mercury, huh? that explains why the same thing was happening at my house! i like that you are posting again. my baby is crying. i have to take my boys friends home and my boy to baseball. it is really hot. maybe i need a good book, what did you read/