What Matters Most

What Matters Most
Andie's Baptism

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Becoming my Mother

Do your remember swearing you'd never do things the way your mother did? I did. Not the big things- for the most part she was right on. But I remember the silverware drawer. Silverware in our house did not have to match. Nor did it have a specified compartment in the silverware drawer. Knives, forks, spoons, they all happily cohabitated in whatever compartment they happened to get tossed into when my Mom emptied the dishwasher. I swore that in my house, silverware would live in it's appropriate place. And match. And dishes would match. And have specified places in the cabinet. And for many years, they did.

Fast forward 10 years. Wanna see my silverware drawer?Yeah, I know. And trust me, it gets much, much worse.

Here's the lesson learned. Mom wasn't lazy. She was busy. And so am I. I don't always unload the dishwasher myself. In fact, mostly, my kids do. I don't care HOW the dishes are put away anymore. I'm just grateful that they ARE put away. And the silverware? I think it's happier this way.

So, am I really becoming my Mother? You decide:




Here we are- me last week with Colton, and Mom at my age with Jeana.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yep, you are becoming your mother...I just think it is inevitable. I really don't think it is bad thing, most the time anyway. Colton is so cute!

Castiel Moyes said...

I think your mom is great so if you become a little more like your mom than you were hoping, I think it could be worse!

Rich and Andrea said...

Of course you're becoming your mother...have you seen those pictures. Holy freakin cow!

sharoni said...

oh my goodness, that looks like a photo from a long past era! Am I that old? Yup! I knew you would eventually get the "silverware" thing. Just hope your daughter never wants to know why wild animals are caged and you are running around loose! I love you meggie good brain....I will keep praying that you do better than I did with the "chin" thing.....sharoni